Four Rivers Kennel is located in far Western Kentucky. We are a small kennel that selectively breeds English pointers for the discriminating hunter and field trialer. I have been breeding and training dogs for several years and believe that I am producing as high a quality pointer as anyone out there. I primarily use the Elhew lineage for their intelligence, trainability, style, and looks. I do occasionally use a selective outcross for the vitality and vigor that this type of outcross can bring to the Elhew line. The late Mr. Whele selectively used these outcrosses for the very same reasons.
Over the past few years I have started trialing some of my own dogs to see where they "stack up" against some of the others. I have produced and trained Horseback Shooting Dog Champions, RU Open Horseback Shooting Dog Championships, Horseback Derby Dog Of The Year, the IL Bird Hunter Association Puppy of the Year in both the Am. And Open Divisions., several wins in NBHA and horseback shooting dog competition. Several dogs from my kennel are winning Championships consistently in National Shoot to Retrieve also. This variance in the types of trialing shows the versatility of the dogs I am producing. My primary interest and passion is bird hunting and will continue to strive to produce the best Pointer I can for the discriminating sportsman.
All of the female dogs that I use for breeding purposes are fully broke and either my personal gun dogs or dogs that I run in trials. I do not breed a female for her pedigree alone. The dogs used in my breeding program are worked, hunted, and trialed when not being bred.
Take a look around and if you have any questions or comments don't hesitate to give me a call or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks Scott Shrum!
**RECENT FIELD TRIAL RESULTS AND BREAKING NEWS**
- Four Rivers Kennels is proud to announce that Four Rivers Covergirl has just won the Tennessee Open Shooting Dog Championship(Nov. 16, 2007). This was quite an accomplishment for her considering she has just turned 2 years old, it was only her second shooting dog brace she has ever ran, and this trial was exclusively wild birds. Kate had to run in difficult windy conditions but yet handled her game to absolute perfection. We could not be more proud of her for the outstanding performance she gave to all of us watching. We would also like to congratulate Shawn Kinkelaar for another Championship and Eddie Taylor for an outstanding job scouting Kate!
- August 19, 2008 Four Rivers Covergirl was just named Ru Ch. at the Montana Open Shooting Dog Championship in a 54 dog stake on wild birds. We would like to congratulate Shawn Kinkelaar on another masterful job handling Kate.
- Sept. 4, 2008 Four Rivers Covergirl was just named Ru Ch. at the All American Shooting Dog Championship in a 48 dog stake on wild birds. Again, congrats Shawn!
- Sept. 8, 2008 Four Rivers Commander was just named RU CH. at the Dakota Saskatchewan Shooting Dog Ch. Ace's 2 beautiful finds on wild birds and great race was very well received. Congrats again, Shawn!!
- Oct. 26, 2008 Four Rivers Snowflake just won the Open Shooting Dog Division at the Reelfoot Quail Hunters Club fall trial in Paducah, KY. This was quite an accomplishment for her considering it was her very first time she has been ran in field trial competition and this is a wild bird trial.
- March 2009 Four Rivers Crusader earned 2nd place in a Open Horseback Derby Stake at Berea KY. She was handled in her first field trial for me by pro Rhett Kermicle and he and "Dottie" did an outstanding job. She carded a nice find and strong forward race.
- March 22, 2009. After an absense from trialing for family health reasons I just ran Four Rivers Snowflake in her second Open Horseback Shooting Dog stake she has competed in at the Wabash Valley Field Trial Club trial at Rend Lake IL. She placed 3rd with a really smooth run. I could not be more proud of her considering it was only her second field trial!
- April 2009. I would like to congratulate a very good friend of mine on his recent success. Curtis Futch of Monroe Louisiana had 4 dogs at the AR/LA Regional Championship earn titles or special recognition being handled by Bo Nutt. Curtis Elhew Deuce(littermate to Miss Elhew Awesome) earned his second Championship win in 3 years at the AR/LA Championship beating a field of 36 contenders. Four Rivers Patriot and his littermate brother Four Rivers Cashe tied for high point dogs of the year(Ch. Elhew Sinbad x Miss Elhew Awesome). This is the first time that littermates for the same owner have earned this award. Both of these 2 males are littermates of Four Rivers Commander and Four Rivers Covergirl. Also earning recognition was "Mac"(Kentucky Bounty Hunter x Miss Elhew Blacktail) she was high point dog on day one of the AR/LA Region Elimination Championship besting a field of 36 to take the John Robinson Classic trophy. I would like to extend a special congrats to owner Curtis Futch and handler Bo Nutt for such incredible accomplishments on the same weekend with dogs whelped here at Four Rivers Kennels.
- April 19, 2009. Four Rivers Crusader earned another placement at Percy Priest Field Trial grounds in TN. This was an Open Horseback Derby stake and she was handled in this stake by Rhett Kermicle. Congrats to Dottie and Rhett another job well done.
- Sept. 8, 2009. Four Rivers Crusader won the derby stake at the Dakota Saskatchewan Open Shooting Dog Championship under the whistle of Shawn Kinkelaar. Congrats to Shawn and Dottie your off to a great start!
- Oct. 16, 2009. Four Rivers Covergirl placed 2nd at the Fleetwood Shooting Dog Classic held in Booneville AK. Congrats to Kate and Shawn.
- Nov. 22, 2009. Four Rivers Covergirl just repeated with another win at the TN Open Shooting Dog Championship. She had 2 nice finds and a smooth race that was well received. This is another of the wild bird trials on the circuit.
- Nov. 23, 2009. Four Rivers Crusader placed 2nd in the companion derby stake at the TN Open Shooting Dog Championship. This was a 25 dog stake.
- Dec. 10, 2009. Four Rivers Crusader placed 2nd in the companion derby stake at the AR Open Shooting Dog Championship. Congrats again to Shawn, Dottie, and my co owner on Crusader Shannon Smith.
- Jan. 13, 2010. Four Rivers Crusader placed 3rd at the companion derby stake at the TX Open Shooting Dog Championship. She had a wonderful smooth race with the only find of the stake on wild birds and a stone cold broke find to top it off. Congrats to Dottie and Shawn they knew we were there!!
- April 1, 2010. Four Rivers Crusader won the companion derby stake at the Egyptian Open Shooting Dog Championship with an incredibly smooth run and breathtaking broke find. Congrats to Dottie, Shawn, and my partner on Crusader Shannon Smith.
- April 30, 2010. Four Rivers Crusader won the companion derby stake at the MidWest Open Shooting Dog Championship with a great run and finds. Congrats to Dottie and Shawn what a way to end the season.
- Nov. 13, 2010. I had the privilege of running Four Rivers Commander for the first time in competition since he was a puppy at the Reelfoot Quail Hunters fall horseback trial at Paducah KY. That was the most fun I have had at a field trial in a long time and Commander put the icing on the cake with a placement. I think the 2 of us may have to spend a little more competition time together in the future.
- Jan. 9, 2011. Four Rivers Covergirl was just named RU CH at the Texas Open Shooting Dog Championship under the whistle of Shawn Kinkelaar. This is Kate's 3rd RU CH to go along with 2 Championships. Congrats to Kate and Shawn for another nice run.
- Jan. 22, 2011. Four Rivers Thunderhawk was awarded 3rd place at the Cajun Classic All Age derby classic under the whistle of Rhett Kermicle. We could not be more pleased considering it was only his 2nd field trial and a quality trial at that. Congrats to Rhett and Trip!! Thunderhawk is co owned by myself and Curtis Futch of La.
- Feb. 26, 2011. Four Rivers Revelation just won the derby stake at Outland Ranch. In our neck of the woods this is one of the best trials of the year. Revelation is co owned by myself and Greg Veatch and was handled to this win by Greg Veatch and scouted by Gib Thomas. Revelation is out of Four Rivers Commander and Four Rivers Sensation.
- Mar. 12, 2011. Four Rivers Revelation was awarded 2nd place at the Reelfoot Quail Hunters spring horseback derby stake in Paducah Ky. "Big" laid down a super ground race that was far and reaching.
- CONGRATS to Four Rivers Revelation(Four Rivers Commander x Four Rivers Sensation) and my partner and handler of "BIG" Greg Veatch on Revelation being named as the Ohio Valley Circuit Derby Dog of The Year. This is quite an accomplishment for Greg considering it was his first year of horseback competition and running against the likes of Gary Lester, Joe Don House, Dewight Grace, Mike Small, Roger Watson, you get the point. The Ohio Valley Circuit has a lot of great dogs and handlers and we could not be more proud of this accomplishment. Thanks to all that gave a helping hand along the way!
- Oct. 8, 2011 Four Rivers Northern Lights was awarded 2nd place at the Reuel Henry Pietz Derby Classic sponsored by the Minnesota Grouse Dog Association in Mora, MN. I would like to extend a big congrats to handler and my co owner Rick Wissink for an outstanding job with Hank! This was a quality classic with several pros in attendance competing.
- Oct. 15, 2011 Four Rivers Commander placed second at the Southern Illinois Bird Hunters fall horseback trial held at Pyramid State Park. Commander ran a strong forward race coupled with a very well handled find. I really enjoyed this trial and will be back. Jim and Kay Lawless put on a quality trial on some beautiful grounds.
- Oct. 29, 2011 Four Rivers Commander continues to lay down really consistant runs. Judge Jim Crouse awarded Commander with a 2nd place at the Coalfield Bird Hunters fall horseback trial in Paducah Ky.
- Dec. 11, 2011 Four Rivers Thunderhawk was awarded another placement at the Mayfield Field Trial Club Fall horseback trial at Paducah KY. Keep your eyes out for this incredibly classy young male! I have a blast every time I turn this guy loose.
- Sept. 30, 2012 Four Rivers Revelation had a nice run at the fall Coalfield Bird Dog Club trial held at Paducah KY and was awarded a 3rd place finish.
- Dec. 4, 2012 I would like to give a shout out to Ron Ward who just got RU. CH. at the Region 5 Am. Shooting Dog Championship with Ward's Danhawk. Danhawk was whelped here at 4 Rivers Kennels. He is out of HOF Ch. Rockacre Blackhawk x Miss Elhew Awesome and is a littermate brother to my Four Rivers Thunderhawk and Hawkeye. Congrats to Ron and Danhawk on a quality win in a 52 dog entry Shooting Dog Championship.
- Feb. 15, 2013 I handled Four Rivers Thunderhawk to another All Age placement at the West Kentucky Field Trial Club spring trial. The classy young male put together another really nice run!